Purchase event set up for sales campaign

Hi Meta developers,

I have a question regarding to how set up purchase event properly for sales campaign. For a bit of context, the pixel is connected through the Instagram & Facebook app on Shopify, so the integration is automatic.

We tried to set up the purchase event with the "pay now" cta on the checkout page, however, the results is not accurate when the user don't reach the end of the payment process. Therefore, we want to add the purchase event on the "thank you" page after a purchase fully done. Since the urls of "thank you" page are dynamic according user id, we'd like to know how we can set up the purchase event correctly?

Many thanks!

Violaine
Asked about 2 weeks ago
Selected Answer

👋 Hello Violaine, I understand your problem. Setting up the purchase event correctly for your sales campaign is crucial for accurate tracking and optimization of your ad performance. Since you're using Shopify with automatic integration through the Instagram & Facebook app So you cannot customize manually on your Purchase event.

As you may know, there are many ways to setup Facebook Pixel and Conversion API on Shopify. Such as, 1. Manually code 2. Partner Integration 3. Facebook & Instagram APP 4. And Google Tag Manager for Facebook pixel.

I would suggest you to set up the Facebook Pixel using Google Tag Manager. Because using Google Tag Manager you will get accurate data on your campaign and Facebook Ads campaign can optimize its conversions properly.

Here my previous setup by GTM 👉 https://dev-freelancer-nurumiah016.pantheonsite.io/facebook-pixel-conversion-api-tracking

Did you know what is Google Tag Manager?

1. Install Google Tag Manager on Shopify. Once the Google Tag Manager is setup, the DataLayer should be enabled according to the Google Analytics 4 schema. Facebook Conversion API always follows Google Analytics 4. Do you know what is DataLayer? ( It is most important for e-commerce business ) The dataLayer is a product's and user information ( Purchase event { email, phone, first_name, last_name, country, city, zip_code,etc } ) information like ( item_id, Item_name, price, quantity. category, orderid etc ). I hope you understand.
  2. Set the trigger to fire on the "Thank You" page. You can use the URL or a specific URL path to target the "Thank You" page.
  3. Configure the variable to capture the order ID parameter from the "Thank You" page URL (e.g., item_id, Item_name, price, quantity. category, ordered, etc).
  4. Set Up the Facebook Pixel Tag
    • Navigate to "Tags" and click on "New".
    • Choose "Tag Configuration" and select "Facebook Pixel".
    • Enter your Facebook Pixel ID.
    • Configure the tag to fire on the trigger you created for the "Thank You" page.

After setting up the custom conversion, perform a test purchase on your Shopify store to ensure that the "Purchase" event is being tracked correctly on the "Thank You" page. Use Facebook's Pixel Helper browser extension to verify that the event fires correctly.

If you need any help feel free to ask me 👉 http://facebook.com/nurumiah016

April 19 at 6:27 AM
MD Nuru