App Review keeps failing due to "Invalid or insufficient credentials provided"

We're having issues getting our game through App Review, We keep getting responses saying we failed due to: Invalid or insufficient credentials provided.

Over 6 months ago Facebook "Temporarily" disabled Test users that would be used for App review. So now you have to create real Facebook accounts and give them tester permissions so facebook can log into the app with these and check the permissions usage to pass App Review. Facebook has failed us because: App rejected - Invalid or insufficient credentials provided They say later: Specifically, we were unable to login using the Facebook credentials you have provided as we encountered errors such as "Invalid username or password" and "Incorrect password".

I've checked the accounts and the details are correct, we're able to log into them fine here checking on multiple device. Looking online I found this thread from last month filled with other people with the same issue and little success https://developers.facebook.com/community/threads/250544340818586/

It seems the error will show if the Account is tried to log in from a country other than the one created in, I guess as it thinks the location suddenly changed from a hacker or something? I downloaded a vpn and set my location to America and saw the matching message when I tried to login to the test accounts.

I've since tried creating facebook tester accounts in other countries using a vpn however these have failed in app review too and we don't know where the real testers are located.

I've included all this info in the request notes and asked them to vpn to our country if they get the issue but the reviews since just have the same failed message with no indication if they tried.

Has anyone had any success with this?

Elliot
Asked about 7 months ago
Selected Answer

Desktop Site [your_main_site_url] Thank you for your prompt response. I have added the Admin access, and now you can review the entire application with these credentials:Admin access:

Use Case -> 1.Permission -> pages_manage_posts We use the pages_manage_posts permission to post photos and content on your Page. Essentially, we employ this permission for our gifting service, allowing us to promote on your Facebook page. Users can claim these promotions by logging in with their Facebook accounts.

2.Please thoroughly review our application as it was approved until 2022, and our functionality was working properly with Facebook. And we have tested it extensively, with approval from our QA team. We request careful consideration during review to avoid unnecessary rejections, as we have faced more than 10 rejections, which is not ideal as it is impacting our business and user experience.

1. We require this permission for the current and future delivery of Facebook page posts.

2. Please do not use VPN for testing because we are using firewall to block vpn access on our website.

3. Our website is accessible only in the US and Europe region.

Steps to test:

1. Provide them your test credentials of your site or potal where you want to test and also provide facebook tester and administrator account credential
  2. If you are not able to create test user then create two facebook account and add them in your main app account one as administrator and another one with as a tester and provide them these credentials.
  3. give them your page links like https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=your_page_id
  4. And one important thing create test app from your main facebook app, configure this test app and use this app for approval and make sure your main app should we in live mode. 5 you can do login with your test app but you cannot be able to send this app for approval so you need to submit main facebook app for approval with these steps and details and also your screencast.

I hope this will help you all.

Thanks suneel kumar

December 14 at 4:10 AM
Suneel

Hello Everyone,

Great news! After several attempts, my request was finally approved.

Here's a workaround for the 'invalid/wrong credentials issue':

1. Connect to a Philippines VPN server.

2. Create new Gmail and Facebook accounts while connected to the VPN.

3. Register the new FB account as a developer account, noting its user ID.

4. Add this FB account as a Tester to your original developer's account.

5. Avoid logging in to the test FB account outside the VPN.

6. Re-record the screencast with the test FB account while connected to the VPN only.

7. Add the new test FB account credentials to your app-review.

You can register your developer's account using your US/Canada phone number; it doesn't seem to make a difference.

November 27 at 11:29 PM
Mukul

Haha, I am having the same problem here. They don't care about their developers anymore, let's give the devs a back hand!

November 6 at 3:41 PM
Tom

Your pain is shared. We have been blocked for 2 months in a Groundhog Day of review rejections, every time their answer is twofold: (1) they couldn't login using the credentials provided, and (2) they tried using their own test user which fails, and the technical reason for that as I understand is the Facebook TEST universe cannot "speak" to the Facebook LIVE universe so if say a reviewer logged in as a test user cannot receive a message from a LIVE application. But, I do have a suggestion.

I figured this out just yesterday:

1. Purchase Browserstack
  2. Switch your region to Philippines
  3. Try logging into Facebook and confirm you get rejected with "invalid creds"
  4. Switch your region to US
  5. Login to Facebook, it should succeed
  6. Switch your region to Philippines
  7. Login to Facebook, it should succeed

After doing those steps I was able to login consistently from Philippines. I chose Philippines because I noticed the IPs from app reviewers seem to come from Virginia or Philippines, and I assume Virginia is non-human things like unfurlers, whereas Philippines is probably the reviewers.

The idea here by using Browserstack is it allows you to keep the same browser data (eg cookies) but switch regions, and maybe that is what FB's security is looking for: the same login session traveling the world, and once it sees that it unlocks it. This is theory, I have no evidence. If the reviewers successfully login I'll report back.

I'm unable to disable 2FA, though when going to that screen it says "you haven't used this device long enough to change that setting" and when I login I don't get 2FA prompt. I'm noting this since that may be the next hurdle.

Some other notes for you:

• https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70543684/cant-get-advanced-access-to-public-profile-on-a-disabled-app If your reviewers say "we couldn't login using provided credentials so we used our own" and then they run into an issue, you may need to have Advanced Access added to the permission you're applying for. You cannot enable Advanced Access on an existing application, as best I can tell. You have to create a new app. But, this stack overflow refers to an appeal process, so perhaps that is something you could try.
  • https://developers.facebook.com/support/bugs/319543153939123/?comment_id=1479978796172950 If you are struggling with "pages_messaging" permission specifically, this bug is relevant, and the comments are a worthy read
  • https://developers.facebook.com/community/threads/867576231614547/?post_id=867576234947880 I've created a thread fishing for help from Meta
  • I submitted a support ticket from within the Facebook Business interface and the reply I got was "you should create a test user", which suggests the Facebook entity writing that reply is unaware that creating test users has been disabled since at least Feb 2023 (8 months)
November 1 at 10:50 AM
Joseph
Joseph

I've created a Stack Overflow question https://stackoverflow.com/questions/77407009/has-facebook-dropped-support-for-messenger-apps

November 1 at 10:01 PM